Often people underestimate how much general contents cover they need. If you think about turning your house upside down, all the stuff that falls out is your general contents (apart from the exclusions listed below). Your Wrisk policy covers you for your household goods and appliances as well as your personal possessions and appliances whilst in the home. For example this would include your:

  • Rugs, throws and other soft furnishings
  • Ornaments and books
  • Furniture
  • Freestanding white goods e.g. fridges and microwaves
  • Clothes, shoes and bags
  • Hair dryers, electric razors and other personal appliances
  • Sports and camping equipment
  • Make-up, perfumes and medicines
  • Art

 All items under general contents have a £1,500 single item limit apart from furniture and household appliances which are covered to the full sum insured chosen. You can choose an overall limit up to a maximum of £20,000.

 What is not covered under general contents?

  • Fixtures and fittings e.g kitchen units, fitted wardrobes
  • Business stock and equipment
  • Documents
  • Money
  • Frozen food
  • Plants or living creatures
  • Valuables e.g. precious metals, pearls and gemstones, clocks

If you choose cover for your general contents your items will be insured inside the home for all insured events:

  1. Fire, smoke, lightning, explosion and earthquake
  2. Escape of water, oil or heating fuel
  3. Theft or attempted theft
  4. Storm or flood
  5. Vandalism or malicious acts (including acts of terrorism involving the use or threat of force and/or violence)
  6. Impact damage

Remember to keep receipts, photographs and serial numbers as it makes things easier if you need to make a claim.

Did this answer your question?